Saturday, March 5, 2011

100th Post! Sausage and Penne Marinara

I feel like I should celebrate (or win something) since my recipe is the 100th post on this blog!!

Here is a new favorite of mine!  It's nice to have something besides chicken and hamburger.  This recipe is delish and totally easy~

Sausage and Penne Marinara


2 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 lb. Italian sausage links, cut into 1 in pieces
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 medium green pepper, sliced
1 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through.

 Drain pasta; toss with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.

3 comments:

zeeny said...

We tried this and thought it was good! I overcooked the peppers and onions though, next time I'll do better!

Anonymous said...

I don't add the peppers cause I'm not a fan. Glad you liked it though.

Karen said...

Just try this....really nice flavor...totally hit the spot!